Baked Chicken Legs with a garlic-lemon-dijon marinade that is easy and excellent. The chicken marinade ingredients are simple and just work. Have you tried mustard on chicken?
Chicken recipes are a staple in my kitchen because they are quick, easy and inexpensive. If you love chicken, the Chicken Tetrazzini is a must-try along with this easy Chicken Pesto Pasta, or Chicken Alfredo Pasta.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Baked Chicken Legs Recipe:
The marinade on these baked chicken legs is zesty and so fresh. Smell it as you are stirring and it will make you all kinds of excited. Bonus: your house will smell completely amazing while the chicken drumsticks roast and you’ll get compliments even before they come out of the oven.
Ingredients for Baked Chicken Legs:
- Chicken Legs or drumsticks
- Olive oil (we used light, not extra virgin)
- Garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- Fresh parsley (flat-leaf or Italian)
- Lemon juice from 1 large lemon
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and black pepper
How to Make Baked Chicken Legs:
Chicken legs are our favorite because they are dark meat so they naturally have great flavor. Coat them in this amazing marinade and these may just be the tastiest chicken drumsticks you’ve had.
1. Make Chicken Marinade: Stir together the chicken marinade ingredients.
2. Marinate the Chicken: Transfer chicken legs to a large mixing bowl or a large Ziploc bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken and toss by hand to evenly coat chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate, stirring once while marinating.
3. Bake Chicken Legs: Preheat oven and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or silpat liner. Arrange chicken skin-side-down. Brush chicken legs with any extra marinade left in the mixing bowl. Bake at 400˚F skin side down, then turn the chicken legs over and bake additional time skin-side-up.
How Long To Bake Chicken Legs:
These bone-in chicken legs do take a little bit longer to bake than boneless chicken, but the chicken is so juicy and the skin becomes crisp and irresistible.
To be sure the chicken is fully baked, cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer or about 50 minutes, as directed in the recipe.
If you want to make this recipe with a different type of chicken you’ll want to adjust the cooking time slightly.
- Chicken breasts: 25-30 minutes
- Chicken tenderloins: 15-20 minutes
- Bone-in chicken thighs: 35-45 minutes
- Boneless chicken thighs: 20-25 minutes
Tips For Oven-Baked Chicken Legs
- The secret to excellent chicken legs is lengthy marinating. The longer you marinate this, the better (at least 6 hours and ideally overnight). The chicken will be tender, juicy and flavorful!
- For extra flavor, brush chicken with the lemony sauce drippings in the pan after they come out of the oven and serve garnished with freshly chopped parsley if desired.
- Push some of the marinade under the skin of each chicken leg for a richer flavor
- Check for doneness with a reliable thermometer (done at 165˚F)
- For crispier skin, broil on high heat 2 to 3 minutes or until skins have browned.
More Oven-Baked Chicken Recipes
Baked Chicken Legs with Garlic and Dijon
Prep Time: 6 hours
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 6 hours 50 minutes
Baked Chicken Legs recipe with garlic, lemon and dijon. An easy and excellent chicken marinade with so much flavor. The longer you marinate this, the better (at least 6 hours and ideally overnight).
Skill Level: Easy
Cost to Make: $7-$9
Calories: 179 kcal
Servings: 14 chicken legs or drumsticks
In a small bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients and stir or whisk together until well blended .
Transfer chicken legs to a large mixing bowl or a large ziploc bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken and toss with your hands to evenly coat the chicken, pushing some of the marinade under the skin of each chicken leg for richer flavor. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate 6 hours or overnight, tossing chicken once while marinating.
Preheat oven to 400˚F and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or a silpat. Arrange chicken skin-side-down and bring chicken to room temp while oven preheats. Brush chicken legs with any extra marinade left in the mixing bowl. Bake at 400˚F in the center of oven for 25 minutes skin-side-down then turn the chicken legs over and bake additional 25 minutes skin-side-up. For crispier skin, broil on high heat 2 to 3 minutes or until skins have browned.*
*For extra flavor, brush chicken legs with the lemony sauce drippings in the pan after they come out of the oven and serve garnished with freshly chopped parsley if desired.
Note: Much of the oil and marinade will end up in the bottom of the pan and discarded after baking which makes it difficult to gauge the nutrition facts on this recipe.
Baked Chicken Legs with Garlic and Dijon
Amount Per Serving
Calories 179 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Vitamin A 160IU3%
Vitamin C 3.1mg4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
This marinade is based on one of the top recipes on our blog of all time; baked salmon with garlic and dijon. With a few modifications (i.e. more of everything), we discovered it is a winner for chicken drumsticks! My next step is to try this on a whole rotisserie chicken.
P.S. Use leftover chicken meat to make this chicken avocado salad (our #1 recipe right now and worth discovering)!