Lasagna Roll Ups combine the best of classic Lasagna but are much easier to serve, bake faster and can be enjoyed right away – no resting time required! They are make-ahead, freezer-friendly, and reheat well.
We love comforting pasta dishes like Chicken Tetrazzini, traditional Spaghetti and Meatballs and Mom’s Chicken Alfredo. These are among the most requested meals in our family. Try this Lasagna Roll-Ups recipe and you will make it over and over.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
We love lasagna in all forms including Skillet Lasagna, make-ahead Slow Cooker Lasagna, and of course Classic Lasagna. These Lasagna Roll-ups are beefy, saucy, cheesy and definitely satisfy the craving for lasagna, but they are way easier to serve. No more messy lasagna squares sliding apart as you struggle to remove them from the pan.
The Ultimate Cheese Sauce:
We make a 3-cheese sauce with ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella, and parmesan cheese. Once the sauce is baked, it tastes almost like an alfredo sauce – rich, creamy, and cheesy.
Beefy Lasagna Meat Sauce:
The best meat sauce for lasagna is essentially a ragu – a meat sauce with ground beef, onion, seasonings, and marinara. We don’t skimp on the meat and use a full pound of ground beef which makes this lasagna supremely satisfying. You can use homemade marinara or your favorite store-bought marinara.
Can I Substitute the Ground Beef?
You can swap out the ground beef for Italian sausage or use ground turkey or ground chicken if you want a leaner lasagna.
How to Make Lasagna Rolls:
The process here is simple and you have all the elements of a classic lasagna but they are rolled rather than layered. This results in 12 perfectly portioned servings of lasagna. It’s brilliant for parties! The process for lasagna rolls is simple:
- Cook the noodles
- Make the meat sauce and spread 1/2 cup in a 9×13 casserole
- Make the cheese sauce
- Spread cheese sauce and meat sauce on each noodle.
- Roll up noodles, transfer to the casserole dish, spread with remaining meat sauce and mozzarella, then cover and bake.
Tips for Assembling Lasagna Roll-Ups
- Cook 2-3 extra noodles as some may break while boiling.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions in salted water until al-dente (do not over-cook). We use about 3 Tbsp salt for a large soup pot of water.
- Drain cooked noodles then cover them with cold water until ready to use so they don’t stick together.
- To contain the mess, arrange the noodles 6 at a time on a rimmed non-stick baking sheet (keeping remaining noodles in cold water until ready to use).
Can I Make Lasagna Roll-Ups Ahead?
There are 2 options to make these lasagna roll-ups ahead of time.
- Fully assemble and bake, then cool to room temperature, cover, and chill. To serve, reheat portions in the microwave or oven until roll-ups are heated through and cheese is melted.
- Fully assemble roll-ups in a casserole dish (without baking), cover tightly with foil and refrigerate overnight or freeze up to 3 months. Bake refrigerated lasagna roll-ups at 375˚F for about 45 minutes. Bake from frozen at 375˚F for about 1 hour.
Watch Natasha Make Lasagna Rolls:
If you enjoyed this Lasagna Roll-Ups video tutorial, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel (P.S. Make sure you click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video).
Lasagna Roll Ups Recipe (VIDEO)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 42 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 12 minutes
Lasagna Roll Ups combine the best of classic Lasagna but they are so much easier to serve, bake faster, and can be enjoyed right away – no resting time required! Lasagna rolls are make-ahead, freezer-friendly, and reheat well.
Skill Level: Easy/Medium
Cost to Make: $15-$20
Keyword: lasagna roll ups
Calories: 333 kcal
Servings: 12 lasagna roll ups
- 12 lasagna noodles cooked to package instructions
- 16 oz ground beef 85% lean
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste for red sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese shredded, divided
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped, plus more to garnish
Preheat oven to 375˚F. Cook noodles in a large pot of salted water according to package instructions then drain and fill pot with cold water to stop the cooking process and keep noodles from sticking together.
In a deep pan or dutch oven, over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until no longer pink, breaking up with a spatula (2 min). Add onion and cook until softened (3 minutes). Add garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp oregano and sautee another minute. Add marinara, bring to a simmer and turn off the heat. Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce over the bottom of a casserole dish
In a large bowl, stir together: ricotta, 1 egg, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup parsley.
To contain messiness, arrange noodles over a large baking sheet in a single layer. Spread 1/4 cup (1 scant ice cream scoop) of cheese mixture over the top of each noodle. Add a heaping Tbsp of meat sauce in a strip down the center of the noodle. Roll noodles up and arrange in the prepared casserole dish.
Spread remaining meat sauce over the tops of roll-ups and sprinkle on the remaining 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil, making sure foil isn’t touching cheese (if your pan is on the shallow side, you can put toothpicks into rolls to keep the foil away from cheese.
Bake covered at 375˚F for 40 minutes. Remove foil and broil another 2-3 minutes or until cheese is lightly golden. Garnish with parsley to serve.
Lasagna Roll Ups Recipe (VIDEO)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 333 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 8g50%
Vitamin A 677IU14%
Vitamin C 6mg7%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen